A place for community football?
In August 2007, SURF hosted a successful conference on “Football and Regeneration” that focused on the shared goals for Scotland’s professional football clubs and regeneration sectors.
This was a follow-up “second leg” event on the relationship between community football clubs and social & economic regeneration, attended by 70 delegates from football clubs, national sport bodies and relevant regeneration organisations. Held at Rugby Park in Kilmarnock, the purpose of the second event was to bring these groups together in a mutually supportive exchange of experience, plans and ideas.
The one-day conference featured presentations from relevant policy-makers and practitioners, themed discussion groups and a plenary questions and comments panel session.
Please click here to download a full report from this event.
Presentation slides accompanying the key speakers’ presentations are available for download (in Microsoft PowerPoint format) below:
1) Football in the Community – a national and international perspective: Mel Young, Social Entrepreneur and President, Homeless World Cup. Part One | Part Two
2) National to Local Support: Andy Gould, Head of Regional Development, Scottish Football Association.
3) Football as a Sustainable Social Enterprise: Colin Campbell, Network Development Manager, SenScot.
4) Working Together – linking regeneration targets with community football: Alan Miller, Senior Consultant, PMR Leisure.
5) A National Perspective: Stewart Harris, Chief Executive, SportScotland.
SURF are grateful to all key speakers as well as the following for their input into the themed discussion groups:
Jim Pegg, Broxburn United Sports Club
Dougie Samuel, Spartans Community Football Academy
Sheila Begbie MBE, Scottish Football Association
Kenny Cameron, Muirhouse Youth Development Group
One of our newer members, PMR Leisure, were particularly helpful in putting the event together. PMR provides a range of support to community sport and leisure initiatives; you can find out more by visiting their website at: www.pmrleisure.co.uk.