In September, Loreburn quickly acted to pull together a range of measures and to provide staff with a toolkit of signposting resources to assist customers who tell us they are struggling with the cost-of-living crisis. This brings together the resources available across Scotland and locally within Dumfries and Galloway that teams can access easily to support customers.
- Scottish Government’s new Cost of Living Support Scotland website providing a ‘one stop shop’ to help those struggling with the cost of living.
- Advice and support available from Money Advice Scotland to improve financial wellbeing and access to debt advice.
- Practical advice on issues relating to energy suppliers through Energy Advice Scotland,
- Impartial advice on gas and electricity cost savings via Lemon Aid from Citrus Energy.
- Free and confidential advice on a range of issues including benefits, debt, employment, housing and homelessness from D&G Citizen’s Advice Service; including Money Map resource to increase income, reduce bills and ease the costs of daily living.
- Information on council tax reduction, housing benefit, discretionary housing payments, free school meals and the Scottish Welfare fund via Dumfries & Galloway Council.
- A range of other locally available support including surplus food support, community cafes, community re-use and re-cycle resources and access throughout the region to free school uniforms.
Staff throughout the organisation have seen the D&G Locator App installed on their phones. The App gives staff working in local communities – whether providing neighbourhood services or delivering Loreburn’s repairs service instant access to local resources when they are working with customers and visiting their homes. The App provides a map of services operated by charities, voluntary groups and social enterprises in Dumfries & Galloway.
Significantly, Loreburn was successful in a £100k funding bid to the Scottish Federation of Housing Associations. The funding will provide targeted support to customers with a range of practical measures to reduce energy consumption and to keep warm this Winter along with direct financial assistance.
Loreburn will be acting quickly to get this assistance out to customers within the next 8 weeks, ensuring they receive the support before the peak of Wintertime.
In addition, Loreburn will be capturing ongoing information, support and interventions occurring because of the situation. This data can be used to keep actions under review and position us to respond to any emerging difficulties. It will also ensure we can quickly identify and access any additional support that can be offered to customers to support them during these difficult times.
Find out more – www.loreburn.org.uk